Friday, June 5, 2009

Inspiration Begins

For the past few months I have been desperately searching for a new purse, but I could never find one that I wanted. Recently I thought to myself that I could sew me a purse and be able to choose fabric that I liked. I went out to shop fabric but ran into a dead end. Since my local quilt shop closed, I have found it hard to find fabric that inspires me. So I invariably turned to the Internet, and found myself spending hours looking at fabric. There were so many wonderful colors and patterns that it was hard to choose. I would find a site and start piling up anything that I really liked into my shopping cart. I then had to cut it down to my favorites. At some points I had up to 30 different fabrics in my cart. I finally did, however, narrow it down to three.

I will be making my own interpretation of the Amy Butler "the swing bag". You can see a picture of this bag at amybutlerdesign.com. I have been checking out books at the library to find out how to make a purse, and I think I have a pretty good idea how to make up my own pattern for this bag. I may have to spend more time on this project than I intended, but I know the end result will be something that I will be proud of.

The fabrics that I picked have variations on botanical prints. For some reason, in this time in my life, I have found that I am drawn to them. The purse will be reversible, so now I have to narrow down my fabrics to two. I think I know which two I will be using, because I really love the other and want to do something special with it. First I need to do the purse, and then maybe I will find the inspiration to so something really wonderful with the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment